- CARO’s ABN is 58512455792. CARO is an ACNC registered charity.
- CARO is committed to providing quality services to you and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal Information.
- CARO has adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). The NPPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information.
- A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at aoic.gov.au.
What is Personal Information and why it is collected?
- Personal Information is information or an opinion that is capable, or reasonably capable, of identifying an individual, whether the information or opinion is true or not and is recorded in material form or not. Examples of Personal Information collected include names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, date of birth, country of origin, citizenship, medical history, details of past trauma, languages spoken
- This Personal Information is obtained in interviews, correspondence, by telephone, by email, through our website and from third parties. CARO does not guarantee website links or policy of authorised third parties.
- CARO collects your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you. CARO may also use your Personal Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure, for example for referral to another therapist.
- When we collect personal information, we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
- Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, or health information.
- Sensitive information will be used by us only:
- For the primary purpose for which it was obtained
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose
- With your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
- Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you.
- However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by the third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed in a number of circumstances including the following:
- Third parties where you consent to the use or disclosure; and
- Where required or authorised by law.
Security of Personal Information
1. Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification, or disclosure.
- Most of the Personal Information is or will be stored for a maximum of 7 years in service user files.
Access to your Personal Information
- You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
- CARO will not charge any fee for your access request but may charge an administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
- In order to protect your Personal Information, we will require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
We will investigate your complaint and will use reasonable endeavours to respond to you in writing within 30 days of receiving the complaint. If we fail to respond to your complaint within 30 days of receiving it in writing or if you are dissatisfied with the response that you receive from us, you may have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information (Privacy) Commissioner (see www.oaic.gov.au).